The objective of CGS Europe is to build a credible, independent, long-lasting and representative pan-European scientific body of expertise on CO2 geological storage that will:
- Instigate a durable networking of research capacity on CO2 storage in all the relevant EU Member States and Associated Countries;
- Liaise and coordinate its activities with other stakeholders and existing initiatives in Europe to help define and coordinate CO2 storage research roadmaps and activities at national, European and international level;
- Help reduce the existing gap between the ‘forerunner’ countries, where CCS activities have been started or planned, and those countries where these actions are not yet happening;
- Contribute to the large-scale demonstration and industrial deployment of CCS;
- Support the implementation of the European Directive on the geological storage of CO2 and other regulatory regimes.
To achieve these aims, CGS Europe has planned a series of mechanisms to further enhance the collection, dissemination, and homogenization of scientific knowledge on CO2 storage.